Thread: Non-profit Computer Training Lab

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Non-profit Computer Training Lab

I live in Las Vegas, NV and was wondering if anyone that has experience with creating or running a non-prof might know of some resources or websites that might help me with getting started. I want to try to start a non-prof teaching lab for free classes about linux, internet, open office applications, etc. And maybe be a place where kids can come work on homework and things of that nature.

It's just an idea I'm working out and wanted some help from anyone who might have some experience in this area.

I hope this was the right area to post this, if not, I sincerely appologize.

Thanks for the help.

Andrew
    Andrew - Folding@Home

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: Non-profit Computer Training Lab

I don't work in a non-profit, but teach in a public school and have set up a LSTP/Edubuntu lab.. I'll assume you will not have a lot of $. Here is one idea.
    Download Edubuntu and learn how to install and use it, or find someone who is familiar with LTSP.

Get one decent machine for your server.

Pick up computers from the garbage, ask for some on craigslist, get some donated old machines, or a grant.

Disconnect the hard drives. These are your workstations.

Hook the whole thing into a simple network.

Just add students.

I don't have experience in what your doing, but I like the idea, and wish you luck!!!!

Get digging on some local PC recyclers. This will be a win win for you guys. They get tax credit for donating the PCs to you, you get the PCs you need. You could even set up your own recycling centers to have people drop off their unwanted electronics to you. Take a look at Government Grants. There has to be a money available for this. I'm sure you've seen the commercial of that guy wearing the funky suit with ?'s all over it. His book is available in most public libraries. Check it out and have a good read.

I've set up a number of businesses and have helped many friends do the same. There are 3 starting steps and could be the most important decisions you could make.

Get a business license. This step differs from state to state. In my state, it only requires $25, a couple of IDs and trip to the county commissioner.

Write out a detailed business plan. Your local government will have a small business office with oodles of information on business plans, not to mention scouring the internet. This process will help you fine tune your plan for your self, and, it's the key piece of paper for getting denied or accepted for a loan/grant.

Finally location. You need a good spot that is easy to get to, and full of the people you want to grace your presence.

If you already have a few PCs (5-10), you could always talk to your local YMCA, Boys and Girls Club, Church, other community center, about setting this up. These places already have tons of children coming and going daily, many don't have the resources nor man power to set up this type of thing. You would be a blessing for them.
    Linux user #196692 AMD x4 620 Gigabyte GA-MA785GM-US2H 7gig DDR2 nVidia GT220
    Linux _is_ user-friendly. It is not ignorant-friendly and idiot-friendly.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Yep, exactly the kind of thing I'm hoping to do. I have an old IBM server with Quad PIII Xeon and 4gb RAM and I was thinking this would be perfect for Edubuntu. And I've thought about getting old PC's not being used anymore, or getting grants or sponsors. And the beauty of LTSP is that the clients can be bare minimum for requirements.

I think it's easy to get a business license here too, I just wanted to find out if there's anything special needed for a non-prof. I've been trying to sort through google, but it's been crazy. So I might have to make a trip down to the city/county building and see what kind of info they have there.
    Andrew - Folding@Home

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I have been thinking about doing the same kind of thing. I am in Waco, TX right now, but my goal is to take a business like this to the Middle East and North Africa. I might try to start something in Waco before I go.