Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone heard of Zenwalk and Dreamlinux?

Beans
    Hidden!

Has anyone heard of Zenwalk and Dreamlinux?

Zenwalk and Dreamlinux are the smallest (I mean low popularity, not the size) distros I ever used.
    Now I recall: the first Linux I ever used was ASPLinux.
    I used mainstream ones such as Mint, Fedora, Ubuntu family.
    What I dislike about Zenwalk is the package manager and updating system.
    I used to consider the Dreamlinux icon one of the prettiest default icon themes.
    Ok, I got the bubble theme from Zenwalk working in Xubuntu.
    I get the themes and wallpapers from live session (without installation) often enough.

Beans

Re: Has anyone heard of Zenwalk and Dreamlinux?

Heard of and used Zenwalk for a while ^^ Was awesome pawsomes a couple of years back.

Beans

Zenwalk is well known.

Beans

I have used both in the past. Some of the Zenwalk peeps broke of and made Salix OS, with is truer to Slackware's roots. But, considering the future of Slackware has been questioned recently (their site has been acting weird for awhile now), I like the idea of going for a distro with more backing. Which is why I tend to gravitate to Ubuntu, Mint, Fedora, Opensuse, etc.

Dreamlinux is based on Debian testing and seems pretty nice. I love their persistent USB scripts, DLNA media sharing built-in, etc. I love the fact that Linux provides people with choice in distros.

Beans
    Hidden!

Wink Re: Has anyone heard of Zenwalk and Dreamlinux?

Quote Originally Posted by Antman View Post
    I have used both in the past. Some of the Zenwalk peeps broke of and made Salix OS, with is truer to Slackware's roots. But, considering the future of Slackware has been questioned recently (their site has been acting weird for awhile now), I like the idea of going for a distro with more backing. Which is why I tend to gravitate to Ubuntu, Mint, Fedora, Opensuse, etc.

Dreamlinux is based on Debian testing and seems pretty nice. I love their persistent USB scripts, DLNA media sharing built-in, etc. I love the fact that Linux provides people with choice in distros.
    Yep, I checked into Puppylinux and their packages are pretty dated, too.
    One thing most people would like is the capacity to install multiple packages at a point; unfortunately, Netpkg apparently lacks this capacity (at least in graphic mode.)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

don't buy into the FUD, there is no issue with Slackware's future.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by OpenSourceRules View Post
    Yep, I checked into Puppylinux and their packages are pretty dated, too.
    One thing most people would like is the capacity to install multiple packages at a point; unfortunately, Netpkg apparently lacks this capacity (at least in graphic mode.)
    Netpkg is not a great tool in my opinion. I would definitely checkout Salix and Vector both of which use slapt-get and G-Slapt.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by boydrice View Post
    Netpkg is not a great tool in my opinion. I would definitely checkout Salix and Vector both of which use slapt-get and G-Slapt.
    One reason I kicked out Zenwalk after three days of usage is the appalling Netpkg package installation and updating system; otherwise it is a decent (if not outstanding) distro.

Beans

But, considering the future of Slackware has been questioned recently (their site has been acting weird for awhile now), I like the idea of going for a distro with more backing.
    The Slackware site has historically been a little dodgy . I believe in an attempt to combat the recent FUD there will be an interview posted with PV on LinuxQuestions sometime in the near future. In the meantime the -current changelog has been very, very active...
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by andrew.46 View Post
    The Slackware site has historically been a little dodgy . I believe in an attempt to combat the recent FUD there will be an interview posted with PV on LinuxQuestions sometime in the near future. In the meantime the -current changelog has been very, very active...
    VERY good to hear!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast