Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trying to install Ubuntu getting error I think it's about my SAS card...

Beans

Trying to install Ubuntu getting error I think it's about my SAS card...

My setup is a i7-13700k with a 3070

Mobo is a MSI MAG Z790 Tomahawk WiFi

I do have an SAS 9211-8i RAID Controller Card

The error happens when I hit try or install Ubuntu. At this point I'm just wanting to see if I can get to the desktop lol

UBSAN: array-index-out-of-bounds in ^(build/linux-hwe-6.5-Zv1Qen/1) index 1 is out of range for type 'MPI2\_SAS\_IO\_UNITO\_PHY\_DATA \[1\]'

This the error i'm seeing on my screen.

I'm very new to pretty much to everything lol

Thanks for any help.
    Last edited by fin7452; 1 Week Ago at 01:59 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Trying to install Ubuntu getting error I think it's about my SAS card...

Which version of Ubuntu are you trying to install?

Please post all the specs. for the computer.

Beans

Ubuntu 22.04.4 Desktop . I'm not sure what you mean by all. The post does list them all.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Is that 3070 you mention in post #1 your nvidia graphics card?

If so you may need to try running with boot option nomodeset.
    From the grub screen hit e for edit go to the line starting Linux and ending "quiet splash" and replace those two words with nomodeset
    Now hit Ctrl+x to boot.
    This may get you to a low resolution GUI from which you can then install the correct nvidia driver after installation of the OS.
    You could also try enabling the option to install third party drivers during the install process, something I've never needed to do.

NB:
    I have never had an nvidia graphic card and therefore I might be out of date with current needs.
    Also check whether you have secure boot enabled and if so disable it Iin the BIOS/UEFI settings.

Beans

Sorry yes the 3070 is my graphics card. I'll give that a try when I get the next chance.

Thanks for the help.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

You need to include the "nomodeset" boot option for your NVidia graphics driver until you get your NVidia Drivers loaded... But that is not what that error is about.

First, on your LSI Logic SAS 9211-8i RAID Controller Card...
    1) Have you updated it's firmware to it's latest version?
    2) Are you using a RAID mode or passing the drives through in HBA mode?
    3) Did the drives show through in the installer?
    4) which version and edition of the Ubuntu Installer did you use?

Next, from an Ubuntu LiveCD > "Try" option, run the UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script, but instead of running it with standard startup, run it in details mode... From a terminal:
    Code:
    wget -N -t 5 -T 10 https://github.com/UbuntuForums/system-info/raw/main/system-info && \
    chmod +x system-info && \
    ./system-info --details
    At the end, choose to upload the report to a pastebin, and post the URL in a post. We want to see how the controller is being recognized, and "which driver" is being loaded.

That LSI SAS controller is one I recommend to people for their storage solutions. It is very common, dependable, and usually just works. We'll see if it is having some kind of challenge with that specific kernel version(?)
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; 1 Week Ago at 05:03 PM.

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans

I don't even know where to start with that lol I just put it in my computer and let Windows do the rest.

Just passing the drives through and setting up as a JBOD with windows.

I haven't even get that far it's literally at the first screen.

Ubuntu 22.04.4 Desktop..is what what you're asking? I used Rufus to create the USB key.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Okay...

FYI: "UBSAN: Index Out Of Range" Warnings are usually harmless. They mean, in the underlying code, a range was declared, because the extent of the range values was unknown. The warning like that is that it was more than expected... But it usually goes on from there, meaning it just continues along (not a fatal error).

Does the installer continue on from there?

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans

No, I've let it set for 5 minutes just to be sure and it never goes to the next screen. Just a black screen with that error
    Last edited by fin7452; 1 Week Ago at 05:15 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Further, in the installer, since you have NVidia, use the "safe Graphics" option to start it up. When it gets to a panel where the last checkbox says "install 3rd party drivers"... check that checkbox, so that it see's your NVidia GPU, and lets it try to install your graphics drivers.

Tell me if it see's all your drives, by going to the "Other/Manual" on the installation method/partitioner screen.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast