Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: shut down takes a lot of time

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 24.04 Noble Numbat

shut down takes a lot of time

Hello,

I'm noticing this from mantic days and using mantic I face it from time to time, not always. Trying to shut down ubuntu was a really fast process. I might have to wait 3' in order for ubuntu desktop to appear irrespective of using wayland, X11 or flashback, yet when attempting to shut down, the vast majority of times it was really fast: max 5" or so.

This is not the case for mantic and noble. While installing noble under virtualbox, I think that I pressed something and during boot and shut down processes I'm able to see text. During the last shut down I noticed the following message:
    Job session-6.scope/stop running (.../1min 30s)

and it took around that time in order for the system to shut down. The "..." represent the time counting until this process stops running. Have you noticed anything similar?

I'm attaching a screenshot I had the time to take. During shutdown I haven't any processes running, at least that I know of.

Regards!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: shut down takes a lot of time

Do the logs for the last session reveal anything?

Code:
    journalctl -b -1
    Any follow-up information on your issue would be appreciated. Please have the courtesy to report back.

Beans
    Distro

Hello,

thank you Doug S for your response. Luckily I hadn't used the noble session after the shutdown problem. Taking a look at it, I have isolated some parts, which I consider relevant (Νοε stands for Nov):
    Νοε 18 15:20:48 noble systemd[1]: Started session-6.scope - Session 6 of User snap.
    Νοε 18 15:21:28 noble systemd[1]: Stopping session-6.scope - Session 6 of User snap...
    Νοε 18 15:21:31 noble systemd[2470]: snap.snapd-desktop-integration.snapd-desktop-integration.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
    Νοε 18 15:21:48 noble systemd-logind[731]: Session 6 logged out. Waiting for processes to exit.
    Νοε 18 15:22:58 noble systemd[1]: session-6.scope: Stopping timed out. Killing.
    with the last three being consecutive messages, so I suppose that snap might be the root of the problem. Do you agree?
    The file size is greater than what I can attach (~550kB).

Regards!

Beans
    Distro

Hello,

shutting down anew noble, process was really fast.
    I have to mention that I have noticed a lot of logging out problems in the meantime (while trying to copy paste the output of messages e.t.c.), yet this is another issue.

Regards!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Depends. I read this thread, mainly because, lately, there has been more and more users who cannot shut down their computers or reboot. Not sure if this is something with the newer kernels, or some kind of 'perfect-storm' combination of hardware or configs... But it is concerning that the frequency of this seem to be on the rise.

The first time I saw it was with Rubi1200 with Mantic. Since then, users affects, I recommend to them to join Rubi1200 Bug report as affected. Even htogh the numbers of users affected has gone up, I don;t see any progress on the bug report.

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans
    Distro

Hello,

Quote Originally Posted by MAFoElffen View Post
    Depends. I read this thread, mainly because, lately, there has been more and more users who cannot shut down their computers or reboot. Not sure if this is something with the newer kernels, or some kind of 'perfect-storm' combination of hardware or configs... But it is concerning that the frequency of this seem to be on the rise.

The first time I saw it was with Rubi1200 with Mantic. Since then, users affects, I recommend to them to join Rubi1200 Bug report as affected. Even htogh the numbers of users affected has gone up, I don;t see any progress on the bug report.
    now that you mentioned the name I remember. I provide two links that mentioned that issue:
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread....light=Rubi1200
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread....light=Rubi1200

the bug report here:
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/2036987

in my case system will shutdown hopefully after some time. Yet, it will need more time than usual in order to accomplish the task.

Regards!

Beans
    Distro

Hello,

this is part of the mantic output that takes a lot of time:
    Νοε 22 00:33:51 inno-U5 systemd[1]: Stopped systemd-remount-fs.service - Remount Root and Kernel File Systems.
    Νοε 22 00:35:08 inno-U5 systemd[1]: lvm2-monitor.service: Deactivated successfully.
    I saw that there is an update for systemd that might fix the issue.

Regards!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Crossing fingers...

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans
    Distro

Hello,

for some time now, I face no issues with shutdown process of mantic. Also I noticed a considerable decrease in ram usage after the latest update of systemd. I do not know if these are related though. An update on the issue.

Regards!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

I'm writing this on an Android tab at the moment so can't search for logs etc but I sometimes see a 90s delay waiting for a cups systemd job to stop running. When that 90s times out shutdown happens normally.
    I will search for proper details when back on my Xubuntu Noble system and report back.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast