Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: failed to get i915 symbols, graphics turbo disabled error on boot

Beans

Re: failed to get i915 symbols, graphics turbo disabled error on boot

Same issue, on Dell Latitude E4310 i5 540M.
    Ubuntu works, but the screen momentarily goes black for a split second and then back to normal, up to a dozen times per minute.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Same probmlem here:
    CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3 CPU M 350
    Graphic chip: ATI

Beans

Same with Acer 5745g (core i5, nvidia gt330m).
    Didn't have the problem with lucid (kernel 2.6.32), started after upgrading to maverick (2.6.35).
    Not too big problem, but graphics are slighltly less performable.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by danieltcv View Post
    Same with Acer 5745g (core i5, nvidia gt330m).
    Didn't have the problem with lucid (kernel 2.6.32), started after upgrading to maverick (2.6.35).
    Not too big problem, but graphics are slighltly less performable.
    Same exact computer, same error message during startup since Maverick. Well, not really, since I always run graphics in "Discrete" mode (setting in the BIOS setup) using only the Nvidia circuit, so I don't think there is a performance hit (since the Intel circuit should be disabled (? don't exactly know what "Discrete" does on the hardware level) anyway. There would potentially be a performance boost if I could run the graphics in "Switchable" mode and thus use the i915 chip for co-processing, but as I said I don't really know what "Discrete" and "Switchable" _really_ does.

I used kernel 2.6.35-15 before the upgrade to Maverick, and I haven't seen the error message at startup before what I can recall. Maverick came with 2.6.35-22, so I guess something changed there.

Not a bigger problem than that it is annoying to see during startup.

I got the same problem. How to fix this problem?

Beans

Now that we've established that a few people have it, does anyone out there have any suggestions as to how to fix it? I can tell that my graphics are definitely not being accelerated since I got that error (from upgrading to Ubuntu 10.10).

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by fjasper View Post
    Same issue, on Dell Latitude E4310 i5 540M.
    Ubuntu works, but the screen momentarily goes black for a split second and then back to normal, up to a dozen times per minute.
    Any solution?
    I also have screen flickers (after I upgraded from 10.04 to 10.10) and some log or error messages after the 'failed to get i915 ...' (before the login screen to appear).

Thank you!

Beans

I haven't found a solution, but I haven't searched for one. I had to wipe the hard drive on my E4310, and start over, and since I have to have a couple of windows applications (one for school and one for working on my car), I didn't put Linux back on it for now.

That said, has anyone tried retrograding to an earlier kernel that worked? I don't feel like I need the latest and greatest, and I like the idea of keeping my personal stuff in a different partition, and different OS than my work stuff, but the flickering made me think I might be torturing the video system.

If it helps to explain the problem to those much smarter than me, the flicker appears to be the same as the one that occurs when windows completes its startup ritual. There's a momentary flicker that appears at the end of the startup sequence, after the desktop image has loaded when I start (but not when I resume) W7/32.

FWIW, when I was dual-booting Windows 7/32 with Ubuntu (10.04 or 10.10-I tried both), if I restarted from u10 into W7, I would occasionally get the "momentary black screen" issue in windows. Sequence: Cold boot. Boot menu. Select Ubuntu. Run ubuntu for a while, with the screen flicker issue. Restart. Select Windows 7 (32 bit) at the boot menu. Run W7(32). Flicker issue present while in W7(32) OS. Perform shutdown. Cold boot. Select W7. Run W7 with no flickering issue.

I don't know if the 32-bit thing makes a difference or not, but I mention it b/c it seems like the less-common version of W7. I don't know why Dell put the 32-bit version on this machine, it has a Core i5 540 M processor.

I have to admit that I'm pretty much a passive Ubuntu user, since fixing it is way above my competence level, so I wouldn't even know where to start, except maybe trying an older version of Ubuntu.

Beans

same with me i have Dell latitude E5510

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

i have the same problem! It just gives the error message on boot, but my graphics is not disabled. Acer 4741 core i3 laptop with onboard graphics. Its slows down my boot time...
    Last edited by Darkhorse85; November 17th, 2010 at 10:44 AM.

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast