Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: failed to get i915 symbols, graphics turbo disabled error on boot

Beans

Re: failed to get i915 symbols, graphics turbo disabled error on boot

Quote Originally Posted by x_lk View Post
    My guess is that your laptop is one of those with dual-GPU support, and BIOS sets default GPU to be the non-Intel one, which caused intel_agp and i915 failed to load.
    After spending some time with modprobe man pages, I believe the following fix should work for all systems, with single or dual GPU. But again, I don't have a dual-GPU laptop, so please feedback if it works on such a system or not.

If you've updated your initramfs with i915 module, undo those changes by removing i915 from /etc/initramfs-tools/modules, and rerun 'update-initramfs -k all -u'.

Run following command,

Code:
    sudo echo "softdep intel_ips pre: i915" > /etc/modprobe.d/intel-ips-dep-i915.conf
    Then reboot.

The 'softdep' option tells modprobe that intel_ips module has a soft dependency on i915, meaning intel_ips can be loaded without i915, but will only provide limited functionality. With this option, modprobe will always try to load i915 before inserting intel_ips.
    Hmm, this file doesn't even exist on my system...

And also, after getting the 2.6.35-27-generic-pae kernel, it would seem that system isn't able to detect any graphics card at all...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by UprightMan View Post

And also, after getting the 2.6.35-27-generic-pae kernel, it would seem that system isn't able to detect any graphics card at all...
    Ditto. File doesn't exist on my system either. Dell Latitude E6510 with NVIDIA 3100 NVS, ubuntu 10.10.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by UprightMan View Post

Yes, the file does not exist on normal ubuntu. The command I gave is supposed to create the file. Sorry, can't help with PAE kernels, I don't use them.

Beans

That's alright then, I'll just stick with the .25 one, which seems to be the most stable for me, not including the graphics bug.
    Last edited by UprightMan; March 4th, 2011 at 05:59 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Ditto on the issue
    laptop hp dm4-1165dx ( i5, integrated crappics card ) please somebody tell me how to fix this issue ( my particular problem I get a green hue in the monitor throught the HDMI output, VGA works well )

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by x_lk View Post
    Yes, the file does not exist on normal ubuntu. The command I gave is supposed to create the file. Sorry, can't help with PAE kernels, I don't use them.
    Ok, the file doesn't exist on my system either, and apparently I'm not able to create it. When I run the command line (sudo echo "softdep intel_ips pre: i915" > /etc/modprobe.d/intel-ips-dep-i915.conf) I get this:

bash: /etc/modprobe.d/intel-ips-dep-i915.conf: Permission denied

I'm not even prompted for the password, which is very weird!

Beans

I failed also to create the file with the orig command. I made it work so that I created the (empty) file with vi and then applied the command again.
    After restart I got an additional error: ERROR* drm/i915 can't work without intel_agp module!

I have a Lenovo W510 with nVIDIA Quadro FX 880M running on 64bit 10.10

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Right, I managed to create the file somewhere else then move it there with "sudo mv (...)". Now I get the same additional error ([drm:i915_init] *ERROR* drm/i915 can't work without intel_agp module!)

LG R590 (core i5) with nVIDIA GeForce GT 335M, 64bit 10.10

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Hello Guys!!!

Unfortunately I have the same problem with my Maverick. Lastly, I've installed it within Windows 7 using WUBI. Everything was prefect untill I've tried to boot it for the first time. Then this error occured. I have a HP Pavillion dv7-4020 with i5 450M CPU and AMD HD5650 graphic card. I've tried to install ATI drivers and hoped that it will help. Obviously it didn't.
    Before Ubuntu I tried with Kubuntu 10.04 and 10.10 and it was even worse. After the blue booting screen showed up, my screen turned black and stayed that way. It's better with Ubuntu but still not to good. The only way I managed to force system to run was as follows:
    1. I run it in recovery mode
    2. I chose something like "customize graphic settings" or "run in safe graphic mode" (I don't remember how it was named and also I'm using version with polish language)
    3. Then I chose option to restart x.org server

After that I am able to use my Ubuntu normally, but cannot switch on any graphic special effects.

I hope it will be fixed in Natty.

Best regards,
    Flaqs

Beans

I have the same problem in Kubuntu Maveric. I can boot Kde, though. I have tried running the softdep fix mentioned above, but it doesn't seem to do anything apart from removing the error message. Framerate is the same as without the fix. Is the fix even meant to actually activate the turbo or just to give the unfortunate, who booted at a text prompt, the opportunity to boot into the Gui?

Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast