Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: ion2 hdmi audio alsa/snd_hda_intel doesn't think my tv is connected

Beans

Re: ion2 hdmi audio alsa/snd_hda_intel doesn't think my tv is connected

I can't remember how many times I had to re-install trying to figure out my alsa 1.0.23 backport solution. I feel your pain.

Hangups during the recovery option is kind of troubling. If you can try using a live CD and take a look at the system logs. Especially the dmesg in /var/log.

Ok to recap. It sounds like you have a standard ubuntu full desktop install and are using the Ubuntu repository for nvidia drivers.

A couple of questions.
    1) is it a 32b or 64b install?
    2) did you upgrade the kernel to 2.6.32-24 before upgrading alsa via the backport?
    3) you have a bootable o/s before the alsa upgrade and it is explicitly the alsa upgrade that messes everything up? (you didn't upgrade graphics drivers at the same time etc)

Just off the top of my head I think the Jetway has an intel atom D525 (1.8ghz) cpu correct? For the zotac and lenovo mentioned in this thread both have the D510 (1.6ghz) cpu. I'm not sure if the D525 is an over-clocked D510.

All of my installs have been of the 32b variety either generic or generic-pae(server) and I haven't encountered any cpu errors.

I'd try three things:

1) Test the cpu

Do a fresh 32b install use the ubuntu repo nvidia drivers and try getting MPrime up and running to test the cpu before touching the alsa upgrade or whatever the specific step is that messes up your system.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prime95

MPrime is the linux equivalent of prime95 which you may already know of. You can use this to run stability tests on your cpu. You can also try prime95 if you have an available win o/s to install and compare it to the linux results. If the D525 is an over-clocked D510 some stability tweaking may be required.

2) Try using a Ubuntu 2.6.35 kernel backport

You need either alsa 1.0.23 or a 2.6.35 kernel to see the ion2 soundcard. Try upgrading via a ubuntu kernel backport to 2.6.35.

**you will probably have to reinstall nvidia after doing this if you already installed the drivers

https://launchpad.net/~kernel-ppa/+archive/ppa

Code:
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:kernel-ppa/ppa
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install linux-meta-lts-backport-maverick
    I never got this to work since it wasn't patched at the time or I had some funky probemask on but it might work now. This is easier than compiling alsa from the kernel ftp. Last build is dated 8/25.

3) Try compiling alsa 1.0.23 from source using the linux kernel ftp alsa packages. Or compile a custom kernel from there.

Anything dated Aug01/10 or later should have the required hdmi sense patch and upgraded snd_hda_intel.

http://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kern...le/tiwai/alsa/

The alsa upgrade script uses the alsa project ftp instead of this one for the source and apparently it isn't patched for snd_hda_intel hdmi sense.

Just a warning. When I tried compiling from those packages it was giving me make errors saying it couldn't find the linux headers even though I had the ubuntu 2.6.32-24 ones installed so it may require you to upgrade your kernel to 2.6.35 from this source as well. If you upgrade your kernel to 2.6.35 from this source technically you shouldn't need to upgrade alsa.
    Last edited by tjones00; August 28th, 2010 at 02:04 PM.

Beans

Thanks for the response! So, 32bit install. I *had* been running with 2.6.32-24-generic-pae prior to upgrading alsa via the backport, or via compiling my own from the ftp sites, etc (i tried several guides). Yes, the OS was 100% bootable and running before the alsa upgrade and the alsa upgrade ONLY. This occured on a clean install of ubuntu 10.04.

This afternoon I finally tried installing win vista on the machine, and (after loading the drivers off the install disc included with the barebones pc) the HDMI video and audio worked right out of the gate. Did not test the 5.1 of it as I don't have an hdmi-compatible amp lying around (but I'll have one soon). So I can guarantee the hardware works.

HOWEVER----MAJOR BREAKTHROUGH TONIGHT!! Got home tonight, tried out your suggestions. CPU, fine, RAM, fine, upgraded to kernel 2.6.35-18-generic in command line. Restarted, and bam! aplay -l all of the sudden shows my HDMI audio channels! (Also I am now, apparently, upgraded to alsa 1.0.23 by virtue of having upgraded the kernel. At least, cat /proc/asound/version says 1.0.23 now.)

However....getting those HDMI channels to do anything is taking some effort. I can get the channels to play back sample .wav files through the TV speakers, but that's about it.
    This works:

aplay -Dplughw:0,7 /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Center.wav

likewise 0,3 and 0,8 and 0,9 all of which are listed under aplay -l

This does NOT work:
    aplay -Dhw:0,3 /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Center.wav
    (likewise 0,7 0,8 0,9 don't work either)
    Trying the aplay -Dhw:0,x command returns the message:
    aplay: set_params:996: Channels count non available.

This also does NOT work:
    aplay -Dhdmi:NVidia /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Center.wav
    It generates several lines of unhappy response, but the most important seems to be "Unable to find definition 'cards.HDA-Intel.pcm.hdmi.9:CARD=NVidia,AES0=4,AES1=130,AES2= 0,AES3=2"
    and "Unknown PCM hdmi:NVidia".

I followed your lead in the thread to make my own .asoundrc file and stuck a copy in /home and in /home/username and also made a asound.conf in /etc that was *supposed* to work, but does not. I can't seem to get the HDMI device(s) to show up in the list when I do aplay -L, no matter which of the 4 of them I map in .asoundrc

Incidentally my .asoundrc file contains:
    pcm.hdmi07 {
    type hw
    card 0
    device 7
    }
    Is this correct? It does nothing on my system.
    The NVIDIA hdmi IS card 0, card 1 is the onboard "USB PnP Sound Device", which is a combo 1/8" minijack + TOSLINK optical jack---the minijack certainly works, the optical I'll know whenever I find my amp with an optical in.

Incidentally aplay -l generates:
    card 0: NVidia [HDA Nvidia], device 3: NVIDIA HDMI [NVIDIA HDMI]
    Subdevices: 1/1
    Subdevice#0: subdevice #0
    (and the same where 3 is replaced by 7, 8, 9.)
    card 1: default [USB PnP Sound Device {, device 0: USB Audio [USB Audio]
    Subdevices: 1/1
    Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

I'm transcribing not copy/pasting because THIS machine has about 20 firefox tabs/windows open and is being used to help understand what is going wrong with the Jetway MiniTOP ubuntu 10.04 system.

Thanks so much for your input, it would have taken me awhile to think of upgrading the kernel. Any further ideas on how to get the stupid HDMI to appear in aplay -L?

Beans

did aplay -Dhdmi07 work?

Remove the .asoundrc that's a finishing touch once you've established which device to use while having 4 devices listed.

edit** sorry I didn't see where you mentioned all 4 devices are listed under aplay -l still remove the .asoundrc for now

whats the output from

Code:
    cat /proc/asound/card0/eld*
    edit** again gd I was out of it with my original response I blame lack of coffee still give me the eld info though.

so plughw:0,7 works, hw:0,7 doesn't work hdmi:NVidia doesn't work (it shouldn't at this point anyway)

hw:0,7 is troubling but we can't do anything about that until we see the eld information. plughw adjusts the format and hw is just raw output.

As to why hdmi:NVidia doesn't work it's probably set to 0,3 in the alsa.conf. Thats the reason for making hdmi** pcm alias and using that instead eg with the one you made aplay -Dhdmi07 /path/to/wav.file.

If you want to correct that (I never bothered with it since I just needed plughw:*,* to work) try checking the alsa.conf at /usr/share/alsa/alsa.conf find where hdmi:NVidia gets it's definition to use device 3 and replace it with 7. You could also replace any hw definition for hdmi:NVidia with plughw.

I believe hdmi:NVidia is just fancy talk for hw:0,3 in your case so even if you change it to 7 it still might not work since hw:0,7 is giving you issues.

You can refer to http://alsa.opensrc.org/.asoundrc to setup a proper plughw pcm alias if you wish. Also check http://alsa.opensrc.org/index.php/DigitalOut

I think

pcm.hdmi07 {
    type plughw
    card 0
    device 7
    }

might work test it via aplay -Dhdmi07 /path/to/wav.file
    Last edited by tjones00; August 29th, 2010 at 03:55 PM.

Beans

The audio now works! After removing the .asoundrc, I made an asound.conf in /etc that duplicates what the .asoundrc had. Now all of the sudden I get sounds. Media playback in Movie Player and VLC both sound tinny...not sure why, the speakers on the TV certainly work correctly.

hw0,7 and hdmi:NVidia don't work still at the command line.

The system still lists (in system-->preferences-->sound), under hardware, "High Definition Audio Controller" as "Analog Stereo Output", that can't be right.

Here's the eld info response:

monitor_present 0
    eld_valid 0
    monitor_name
    connection_type HDMI
    eld_version [0x0] reserved
    edid_version [0x0] no CEA EDID Timing Extension block present
    manufacture_id 0x0
    product_id 0x0
    port_id 0x0
    support_hdcp 0
    support_ai 0
    audio_sync_delay 0
    speakers [0x0]
    sad_count 0
    monitor_present 1
    eld_valid 1
    monitor_name SAMSUNG

connection_type HDMI
    eld_version [0x2] CEA-861D or below
    edid_version [0x3] CEA-861-B, C or D
    manufacture_id 0x2d4c
    product_id 0x6ac
    port_id 0x20000
    support_hdcp 0
    support_ai 0
    audio_sync_delay 0
    speakers [0x1] FL/FR
    sad_count 1
    sad0_coding_type [0x1] LPCM
    sad0_channels 2
    sad0_rates [0xe0] 44100 48000 88200
    sad0_bits [0xe0000] 16 20 24
    monitor_present 0
    eld_valid 0
    monitor_name
    connection _type HDMI
    manufacture_id 0x0
    product_id 0x0
    port_id 0x0
    support_hdcp 0
    support_ai 0
    audio_sync_delay 0
    speakers [0x0]
    sad_count 0
    monitor_present 0
    eld_valid 0
    monitor_name
    connection_type HDMI
    manufacture_id 0x0
    product_id 0x0
    port_id 0x0
    support_hdcp 0
    support_ai 0
    audio_sync_delay 0
    speakers [0x0]
    sad_count 0

the response to aplay -L still doesn't show anything new.

Beans

Hmmm probably have to edit the alsa.conf to see it in aplay -L I guess.

The odd audio in VLC is probably the driver/codec using a messed up rate by default.

Anyway woot!.

Ok if you do anymore pcm alias editing you now know the audio capabilities of your display from that eld information so you can set standards like rate 48000, 2 channels S16_LE etc.

Code:
    speakers                           [0x1] FL/FR
    sad_count                         1
    sad0_coding_type              [0x1] LPCM
    sad0_channels                   2
    sad0_rates                        [0xe0] 44100 48000 88200
    sad0_bits                          [0xe0000] 16 20 24
    The capablities of your codec are found at cat /proc/asound/card0/codec#1.0 for device 7

Beans

Well this has definitely been an interesting challenge. I'm making some progress, but still not super successful. I've managed to upgrade my alsa driver to the 1.0.23 version.

When I look at my eld#1.0 file, it brings up the information I expect

Code:
    monitor_present        1
    eld_valid        1
    monitor_name        DENON-AVAMP

connection_type        HDMI
    eld_version        [0x2] CEA-861D or below
    edid_version        [0x3] CEA-861-B, C or D
    manufacture_id        0xee11
    product_id        0x1f
    port_id            0x20000
    support_hdcp        0
    support_ai        0
    audio_sync_delay    0
    speakers        [0x5f] FL/FR LFE FC RL/RR RC RLC/RRC
    sad_count        7
    sad0_coding_type    [0x1] LPCM
    sad0_channels        8
    sad0_rates        [0x1ee0] 44100 48000 88200 176400 192000 384000
    sad0_bits        [0xe0000] 16 20 24
    sad1_coding_type    [0x7] DTS
    sad1_channels        6
    sad1_rates        [0x6c0] 48000 88200 176400 192000
    sad1_max_bitrate    1536000
    sad2_coding_type    [0x2] AC-3
    sad2_channels        6
    sad2_rates        [0xe0] 44100 48000 88200
    sad2_max_bitrate    640000
    sad3_coding_type    [0xb] DTS-HD
    sad3_channels        8
    sad3_rates        [0x1ec0] 48000 88200 176400 192000 384000
    sad4_coding_type    [0xa] E-AC-3/DD+ (Dolby Digital Plus)
    sad4_channels        8
    sad4_rates        [0xc0] 48000 88200
    sad5_coding_type    [0xc] MLP (Dolby TrueHD)
    sad5_channels        6
    sad5_rates        [0x1ec0] 48000 88200 176400 192000 384000
    sad6_coding_type    [0xc] MLP (Dolby TrueHD)
    sad6_channels        8
    sad6_rates        [0x6c0] 48000 88200 176400 192000
    And when I run this command, I get sound coming out of my speakers via HDMI
    aplay -Dplughw:0,7 /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Center.wav

but -Dhw doesn't work, just like DrMPS when he was trying to set up his jetway

However, when I make an asound.conf file in my /etc directory, some strange things happen. When I put this as my entire asound.conf file

pcm.hdmi07 {
    type plughw
    card 0
    device 7
    }

then run
    aplay -Dhdmi07 /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Center.wav

I get this error
    ALSA lib pcm.c:2171snd_pcm_open_conf) Cannot open shared library /usr/lib/alsa-lib/libasound_module_pcm_plughw.so

I find this kind of strange because when I do the -Dplughw command the sound plays fine, but not when I do the .conf file alias, it does not play. But when I checked, the library wasn't in that location

So I'm not quite sure what is going on. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Beans

So plughw:0,7 works for you.

I'd think that means plughw doesn't work properly for "type" in your setup. I was just grasping at straws when suggesting to use it as type.

Try type plug instead of plughw and see if that grabs some defaults. plug appears to be an official type.

If plug doesn't work you'll probably have to setup a full dmix/asym or full hw/slave setup

see http://alsa.opensrc.org/.asoundrc Plugins Section

You could also try sending all audio through dmix (adjust format) then to 0,7 with the following.

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=789152 Themaister's post.

Beans

Ok, I think I'm starting to see what my problem is. After a bunch of mucking around in my asound.conf file in /etc, now when I type

aplay <wav file>

the file plays fine, so my alsa default settings are ok.

I went a step further and used mplayer to play some other types of media. When I run this command

mplayer -ao also:device=plughw=0.7 <mp3 or video file>

it plays ok. But when I remove the -ao option and do this

mplayer <mp3 or video file>

nothing happens. The main difference I'm seeing is that when mplayer runs it says
    A0: [pulse] 44100Hz

but when I put the -ao command line option I get
    A0: [alsa] 44100Hz

So it seems as though it's using pulseaudio instead of alsa by default for everything. I think that's why I can hear things through aplay, but media player or vlc are trying to use pulse by default and that doesn't seem to work.

Does this mean that I need to deactivate pulseaudio? Or should pulse work through the alsa config that I currently have set up?

Thanks.

Beans

So I put in plughw:0,7 as a custom audio device inside xbmc, and audio now works in there. I don't have audio in anything else like vlc because they seem to default to pulse. But since I'm primarily planning on running xbmc, this isn't the end of the world. Still curious about what needs to be done to get it all working though.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 15.04 Vivid Vervet

Quote Originally Posted by ssarkar View Post
    So I put in plughw:0,7 as a custom audio device inside xbmc, and audio now works in there. I don't have audio in anything else like vlc because they seem to default to pulse. But since I'm primarily planning on running xbmc, this isn't the end of the world. Still curious about what needs to be done to get it all working though.
    It may help to change the audio output to alsa in vlc preferences. (Also mplayer, xine). This is a decent reference:
    http://www.sabi.co.uk/Notes/linuxSoundALSA.html

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast