Thread: 10.04 blinking cursor after grub select OS screen

Hybrid View

Beans

10.04 blinking cursor after grub select OS screen

I just installed 10.04 and for some reason once the grub screen loads and I can pick what I want to launch (regular kernel, or rescue mode), it attempts to load and then I just get a blinking cursor. I've found that I can't load the live CD either unless I use the nomodeset flag. I read in another post that this problem should be fixed by editing the /etc/default/grub file to add the nomodeset flag, which I did via nano. However, the file also says you must run update-grub after you edit the file. I tried this and it said something like it can't find / (is /dev mounted?) The hard drive itself is mounted, so I don't know why /dev wouldn't be mounted. How can I get this problem solved so I can boot to 10.04 successfully from the hard drive? (I'm typing this from the live CD right now).

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Re: 10.04 blinking cursor after grub select OS screen

If adding "nomodeset" worked for you in the LiveCD, you can do the same on your installation:
    1) At the grub menu, press 'e'.
    2) After "quiet splash" type "nomodeset".
    3) Ctrl+x to boot.

Does this get you to a normal desktop?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Catharsis View Post
    If adding "nomodeset" worked for you in the LiveCD, you can do the same on your installation:
    3) Ctrl+x to boot.

Nope. If I add the nomodeset flag after the quiet splash flag, I just get the blinking cursor. If I remove the quiet splash flag and replace it with nomodeset, it will attempt to boot and mount somethings but then it just drops to a blinking cursor. Any more ideas?

Beans
    Distro

Try getting a terminal by typing Ctrl+Alt+F2. If that doesn't work, boot the recovery kernel and try the same thing to get to a terminal.

Beans

Try getting a terminal by typing Ctrl+Alt+F2. If that doesn't work, boot the recovery kernel and try the same thing to get to a terminal.
    Clt+alt+ F2 didn't work. If I try booting the recovery kernel it does the same thing; it starts booting and stops. The last part of it says "Begin: Running /scripts/init-bottom... Done." Then I'm left with the blinking cursor.

Beans
    Distro

It hangs at that message for a minute for me too. Just wait it out. Is your disc light still flashing?

Edit: If it actually is freezing there, try Ctrl+Alt+F2 there too. If that doesn't work either, try choosing "failsafeX" in the recovery menu.
    Last edited by Catharsis; May 9th, 2010 at 10:11 PM. Reason: .

Beans

3) Ctrl+x to boot.

Thanks! This worked for me.