Hello! I've been using Ubuntu on my Dell Vostro 1000 laptop since version 8.10, and I've been blown away by Lynx. The new theme looks fantastic! The filesystem is faster than ever too. I have a problem with my graphics card though... every time I start up the computer, the entire screen is corrupted with random colored stripes flashing on the screen. This happens when the boot up splash screen appears.

I think it has something with radeon modesetting, because when I turn that off using "radeon.modesetting=0" or "nomodeset" in the kernel boot options, the problem disappears. However, the boot splash is in low graphics mode (Xorg itself works fine in 1280x800), compositing doesn't work, and I'm stuck with a software rasterizer for 3D.

Any suggestions? I'm comfortable with the command line and editing config files, but I'd rather not toy around with /etc/X11/xorg.conf if it can be avoided. I have an amd64 kernel. Thanks in advance!

Edit: I am able to work around this by restarting X (Alt+SysRq+K) until the graphics card displays properly, but this is obviously very annoying and sometimes it takes a couple reboots to get that thing to work.