Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Graphics Problems with ATI Radeon Xpress 200M in Ubuntu 10.04

My profile showed 9.04. I'm now using 10.4

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Here's a snapshot of google earth after zooming in a little.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by maiapilo; May 11th, 2010 at 07:27 AM. Reason: upload failed

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by maiapilo View Post
    Here's a snapshot of google earth after zooming in a little.
    Wow man, that's seriously screwed up. I also had ATI issues in Lucid with the new 10.X drivers. Since the ATI crew is really good at adding new bugs while removing others, I'll wait a few more months before the new driver is stable in Lucid.
    Went back to Karmic with 9.11 ATI drivers in order not to waste more time on ATI issues.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I have the same problem- and it's not just with Google Earth, it's with Blender and SuperTuxKart too (that I've seen anyway). On my desktop that has an ATI X800XT, I have relatively fantastic frame rates in FlightGear (20+ in some instances), but there are disappearing polygons...

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Switched back to 9.10 as suggested by maiapilo and am now much happier. Too bad, since 10.04 is a LTS. Perhaps by the time 9.10 is obsolete I'll have a new computer that does not have an ATI video card.
    Acer Veriton N231G, 4G Ram, 320G HDD

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

To anyone who has the same problem I do (screen corruption on boot), I found a new fix (if your suspend works properly anyway). Close the laptop lid so that the computer goes into suspend, then open it up to restore-. If your cursor has disappeared, switch to a virtual terminal (Ctrl+Alt+F1) and then back to X (Ctrl+Alt+F7, Ctrl+Alt+F8, or Ctrl+Alt+F9).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Having sudden and random lock-up issues along with compositing suddenly switching off from time to time on my Packard Bell EasyNote R3450 with the infamous Xpress 200M on board I noticed that line
    Code:
    [drm:rs400_gart_adjust_size] *ERROR* Forcing to 32M GART size (because of ASIC bug ?)
    in dmesg log.

Thinking it had to do something with shared memory size (being forced to 32Mb) I thought I should reduce it from the 128Mb I had set in BIOS (hit F2 at boot on this machine) to 32Mb. Boy, did that look scary! Completely scrambled display was the result

Changing shared memory to 64Mb gave me back a working screen but I have not worked long enough with that setting to be able to say if the lock-ups are still occurring...

Also tested with editing radeon.modeset=0 at the boot command and booted with that. Seemed to work OK (compositing still but also not worked with it long enough to be able to tell if the freezes are gone.

Anyway, to those with scrambled graphics: have you tried with different shared video memory sizes? On my machine that problem seems to be limited to 32Mb shared memory.

Beans

I'm running 9.10 with no problems but get window corruption like purelinuxuser describes when trying out the 10.04 live CD. I found that this fixes my problem:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Lubuntu/Rele...aphics%20cards

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by RavanH View Post
    Anyway, to those with scrambled graphics: have you tried with different shared video memory sizes? On my machine that problem seems to be limited to 32Mb shared memory.
    I wish I could! My "BIOS" gives me almost NO control over my laptop hardware.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by benrb View Post
    I'm running 9.10 with no problems but get window corruption like purelinuxuser describes when trying out the 10.04 live CD. I found that this fixes my problem:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Lubuntu/Rele...aphics%20cards
    I don't think that applies to me... it's for older graphics cards with 32MB of VRAM or less. My card has 128MB of VRAM. Plus, it's not window corruption... it's the ENTIRE display!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast