Page 76 of 543 FirstFirst ... 2666747576777886126176 ... LastLast

Thread: Guide to Get the Best Performace from the GMA 500

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: Guide to Get the Best Performace from the GMA 500

for those having a black screen upon reboot after install... I've had that a few times too, just boot into recovery, choose root control and remove the packages

Code:
    dpkg -r poulsbo-config
    dpkg -r psb-firmware
    dpkg -r psb-kernel-headers
    dpkg -r psb-kernel-source
    dpkg -r psb-modules
    dpkg -r xpsb-glx
    dpkg -r xserver-xorg-video-psb
    dpkg -r libdrm-poulsbo1
    not sure if the code above is correct, just written it from what I remember. Once you got all the components deinstalled, reboot, then in the crashed X menu reset the graphics to default, reboot again and you're back to normal... then just try the script again. I've had that issue 2-3 times while testing, after reinstall it was gone.

I'm not sure what caused the black screen, as I did change a few things. What may be possible is that it goes black if you don't have autologin set for your account (is it possible that the login screen uses composition/3d?)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Leed View Post
    for those having a black screen upon reboot after install... I've had that a few times too, just boot into recovery, choose root control and remove the packages

Code:
    dpkg -r poulsbo-config
    dpkg -r psb-firmware
    dpkg -r psb-kernel-headers
    dpkg -r psb-kernel-source
    dpkg -r psb-modules
    dpkg -r xpsb-glx
    dpkg -r xserver-xorg-video-psb
    dpkg -r libdrm-poulsbo1
    not sure if the code above is correct, just written it from what I remember. Once you got all the components deinstalled, reboot, then in the crashed X menu reset the graphics to default, reboot again and you're back to normal... then just try the script again. I've had that issue 2-3 times while testing, after reinstall it was gone.

I'm not sure what caused the black screen, as I did change a few things. What may be possible is that it goes black if you don't have autologin set for your account (is it possible that the login screen uses composition/3d?)

this should clean the system before installing drivers in lucid

Code:
    sudo apt-get remove --purge poulsbo-* psb-firmware psb-kernel-* xpsb-glx* xserver-xorg-video-psb* libdrm-poulsbo1* libva1 libva1-*
    i've also added it at the init of the installation script
    Last edited by lucazade; May 11th, 2010 at 02:02 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Hi Lucazade

The installation script is getting better by the day...just a minor comment...The script fails when implementing the battery fix as I don't have an "autostart" directory under ~/.config. If I create this manually it works fine. As an aside once this is fixed I no longer need to add "acpitool" to my rc.local so I guess your fix is doing the same job...

I've tried un-commenting some of the options in your supplied xorg.conf to see if this helps fix speed and/or suspend but no joy so far - do you have a feeling for what the best settings should be for an Aspire One 751h?

Keep up the good work - let me know if there are any specific tests you would like carrying out on this hardware...Paul
    Last edited by PilotPaul; May 11th, 2010 at 03:05 PM. Reason: formatting

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by PilotPaul View Post
    Hi LucazadeThe installation script is getting better by the day...just a minor comment...The script fails when implementing the battery fix as I don't have an "autostart" directory under ~/.config. If I create this manually it works fine.
    fixed tnx

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Leed View Post
    Thanks for the tip. Did it work on your machine? With mine it somehow didn't take the top bar properly (used the gnome desktop one instead of the netbook one) and after a few seconds it reverted back to gnome desktop completely.

I think I'll still wait for the 3d/compositing
    I had the panels too, but works great besides that.

Beans

Having done all that the thread says(also using the new script for removing the old packages) I have a black screen on boot. Testing on Acer 751h
    My kernel is 2.6.32-22

edit:Fixed. There were some nvidia modules installed. Removing them solved the problem. Thanks for your great work.
    Last edited by tsip4; May 11th, 2010 at 04:18 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu UNR

The UNR menu works fine if you set UNR sessions to be 2D. In System menu fine the Login Screen (I think - i'm at work, cant check) and choose Netbook Launcher 2D. Maximus doesn't start but can be started manually, however you'll get a white screen for some time if you use the Go Home applet.

Gotta get the touch screen working again - haven't had time yet

Edit: oops - wrong threat but may be useful here too.
    (I have things working on a Asus T91MT net book tablet)
    Last edited by kgingeri; May 11th, 2010 at 04:25 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Talking Re: Guide to Get the Best Performace from the GMA 500

Taking heed of what the person with the AO751h mentioned with regards to the nvidia drivers, I removed those on my AO751h, and ran the poulsbo install shell, rebooted, and poof! had a 1360x768 desktop!

Great job, and thanks for the 2D!!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Talking Re: Guide to Get the Best Performace from the GMA 500

Additional info:

Suspend mode works after a fashion on this laptop:

When I turn it back on after starting a suspend, video is not correct. However If i switch to a tty console, and switch back to the X console, all is well.

Beans

lucazade and all you guys that helped... THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

If you come to Greece, there is a bottle of ouzo waiting for you

Page 76 of 543 FirstFirst ... 2666747576777886126176 ... LastLast