Page 242 of 543 FirstFirst ... 142192232240241242243244252292342 ... LastLast
Results 2,411 to 2,420 of 5425

Thread: Guide to Get the Best Performace from the GMA 500

Beans

Re: Guide to Get the Best Performace from the GMA 500

Hi

I checked some video files and subtitles with latest mplayer-vaapi and finally:

Unfortunately subtitles with any XVID,DIVX files are unreadable.

Subtitles with H264 files appears properly.

Is there any possibility to play subtitles with xvid,divx files in mplayer.

Reagrds

Jurek

Beans

Just to share my experiences with Nokia Booklet 3G and Ubuntu. Earlier I used original 120G Hitachi HD, but as it's 5400rpm, it's so damn slow, making whole system almost unusable. So, I upgraded to Intel X18 SSD. Then I thought to give a try for 10.10, but there was something strange in installation when partitioning HD. I could create partitions, but just when I tried to format it to XFS/EXT4, installar died. Switching to terminal, I saw lot's of IO Error messages in dmesg (sorry, I didn't write down exact error). Reboot didn't bring back online, I had to make cold reset.

So, I decided to go with 10.04, using alternative install, since I really need encryption. Installed system with defaults, then following instructions from wikipage, and almost everything works now perfectly. I used 99video-workaround for suspend, instead of uswsusp, since in earlier setup I had some other problems with uswsusp. Only brightnesskeys doesn't work currently, even with those Grub parameters. I also tried that Skype-workaround mentioned earlier, but didn't succeed. Skype is currently only app for which I have to boot Booklet to Windows, since I really love to have videocalls to my relatives around the world.

By the way, has anyone else experienced really fast increasing load_cycle_count? In original setup, when I had Hitachi HD, I heard these clicking sounds in 5-10 sec interval, and it was load_cycle_count which was increasing very fast, around +1000 per day. I had to do lot's of tweaking to get rid of it, and that eventually broke suspend. Now, with SSD, I'm happy to just ignore that, haven't even looked at it

Anyway, thanks a lot for making Booklet & Ubuntu usable, I knew there's some problems with GMA500 when I bought Booklet, I just didn't know how much

Beans

Is there a way to disable/enable wifi through the Fn key?
    Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by ethouin View Post
    Is there a way to disable/enable wifi through the Fn key?
    Thanks.
    Depends, on a eeepc you can use eee-control or jupiter.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

At least on an acer AO751h I know no way to do this with Fn keys. I only use WiFi outdoors so I have it set to be disabled during startup by adding
    "rfkill block all"
    to /etc/rc.local (this disables bluetooth too, for wifi only it should be "rfkill block wifi" - anyway hitting "rfkill" at a terminal gives all available options).
    So, I suppose you could assign a shortcut-key combination in Gnome to do your job, hope that helps..

P.S. Probably rfkill is not already installed, you should install it by hand.
    Last edited by simplygades; November 5th, 2010 at 02:13 PM. Reason: typos

Beans

Thanks for your answers. As I have a 1101ha (eeepc), I will try first with jupiter.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mle View Post
    By the way, has anyone else experienced really fast increasing load_cycle_count? In original setup, when I had Hitachi HD, I heard these clicking sounds in 5-10 sec interval, and it was load_cycle_count which was increasing very fast, around +1000 per day. I had to do lot's of tweaking to get rid of it, and that eventually broke suspend. Now, with SSD, I'm happy to just ignore that, haven't even looked at it
    Yes, I've made the same experience with my Booklet 3G.
    Do you remember how you solved the problem?

Thanks!

WOW, SSDs are expensive!
    http://meetmeego.org - German news and video reviews about maemo and MeeGo

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by zehjotkah View Post
    Yes, I've made the same experience with my Booklet 3G.
    Do you remember how you solved the problem?

Thanks!

WOW, SSDs are expensive!
    I documented what I did here: http://blog.kotipolttoinen.com/archi...ve-issues.html

Not sure if it was this or uswsusp or both of them together, but suspend wasn't very successfull with this setup.
    Last edited by mle; November 5th, 2010 at 05:35 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Ubuntu moving from X to Wayland - so either we have a open source driver in six months to one year, or we change distribution, or throw away our GMA500 machines.
    In general, this will all be fine – actually *great* – for folks who have good open source drivers for their graphics hardware. Wayland depends on things they are all moving to support: kernel modesetting, gem buffers and so on.
    I don't think we can reverse engineer this crap in six months - I surely can't do it in six years - so it seems we're in trouble.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jbernardo View Post
    Ubuntu moving from X to Wayland - so either we have a open source driver in six months to one year, or we change distribution, or throw away our GMA500 machines.

I don't think we can reverse engineer this crap in six months - I surely can't do it in six years - so it seems we're in trouble.
    I bet this won't happen soon, a too much young project.
    It is surely a point of no return if intel doesn't provide opensource drivers.
    Anyway is a good thing xorg has a competitor after xfree86.

Page 242 of 543 FirstFirst ... 142192232240241242243244252292342 ... LastLast