Page 174 of 543 FirstFirst ... 74124164172173174175176184224274 ... LastLast
Results 1,731 to 1,740 of 5425

Thread: Guide to Get the Best Performace from the GMA 500

Beans

Re: Guide to Get the Best Performace from the GMA 500

Any idea to play online the videow from apple.com?
    In preferences of firefox I cannot change to mplayer It is not present as an alternative .

Thanks

Simis

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Compiz works on my box now! I like to oscillate between tiling window managers, Xmonad, DWM and the like and full bling, and now I can do it on my laptop. Accolades =D>

Beans

Latest maverick updates (xserver 1.8.99.905) break PSB driver... was working with Alpha3 if i remember well.

undefined symbol: WindowTable
    seems to be a common problem for all drivers with new xserver (some already fixed), need to investigate.

attached xorg.log, going to open a bug
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans

Heh. Remarkable. The flash video replacer really made a difference. Video performance is much better now. Youtube clips was nearly unwatchable before, but now even HD content seems to work fine.

With compiz enabled, the CPU stays cooler. This improves battery life for GMA500 netbooks.

Just one thing. Although the WM graphics is better now, scrolling web pages in Firefox seems slower. Can this be improved? Are there any settings for this in compiz config settings manager or in Firefox itself?
    Last edited by loodjuret; August 22nd, 2010 at 12:55 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by loodjuret View Post
    Heh. Remarkable. The flash video replacer really made a difference. Video performance is much better now. Youtube clips was nearly unwatchable before, but now even HD content seems to work fine.

With compiz enabled, the CPU stays cooler. This improves battery life for GMA500 netbooks.

Just one thing. Although the WM graphics is better now, scrolling web pages in Firefox seems slower. Can this be improved? Are there any settings for this in compiz config settings manager or in Firefox itself?
    I'm downloading lucid 10.04.1 and will test it again. thx for your opinion, i was working with fedora before it.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by loodjuret View Post

No tweaks for Firefox, scrolling is slow as hell.
    Let's hope for Firefox4

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by lucazade View Post
    No tweaks for Firefox, scrolling is slow as hell.
    Let's hope for Firefox4
    In my netbook firefox works well (scrolling too) with compiz ativated, it's a fresh install with the "magic" packet (that enable compiz), and the exanocomposite option.
    --------------------- Edit ----------------------------------------
    Ok, Scrolling is very slow
    Last edited by jarodrig; August 22nd, 2010 at 04:25 PM. Reason: Epic Fail

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jarodrig View Post
    In my netbook firefox works well (scrolling too) with compiz ativated, it's a fresh install with the "magic" packet (that enable compiz), and the exanocomposite option.
    --------------------- Edit ----------------------------------------
    Ok, Scrolling is very slow
    Seemed so strange.. firefox on PSB was slow from first try on Jaunty and anything changed for years!
    Try chromium without compositor (i.e compiz) and you'll see scrolling webpages is at least 10x faster and smoother than firefox.

The only thing seems to improve performances using a compositor (imho) is window drag/resize on GNOME (not so important for everyday use).
    I don't care about transparency and other eye-candy effects, i prefear a responsive and workable device.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by lucazade View Post
    Seemed so strange.. firefox on PSB was slow from first try on Jaunty and anything changed for years!
    Try chromium without compositor (i.e compiz) and you'll see scrolling webpages is at least 10x faster and smoother than firefox.

The only thing seems to improve performances using a compositor (imho) is window drag/resize on GNOME (not so important for everyday use).
    I don't care about transparency and other eye-candy effects, i prefear a responsive and workable device.
    Having compiz enabled results in the GMA500 doing more graphics related work. This releases some extra potential CPU power for running processes. The positive side effect is that the CPU stays cooler (more evenly) when moving or switching between windows etc. It also saves some power.

I like window transparency when using netbooks with smaller screens. Useful seeing through a window. I also enjoy the window picker feature. But I guess this in the end boils down to personal opinions.

Beans

Talking Re: Guide to Get the Best Performace from the GMA 500

Compiz works like a charm on my vaio P11Z, thank you very much! =D>

(I like the enhanced zoom, very useful on the P11Z's small screen with great resolution, just my 2cents )

Page 174 of 543 FirstFirst ... 74124164172173174175176184224274 ... LastLast